Thursday, October 22, 2009

Why people homeschool?

I guess as my kids are getting older and get further in school the whole homeschool thing starts making more since to me. Every teacher you deal with is different and you just never know how they are going to click with your child.

Amanda is in the 10th grade and with the exception of 1 really bitchy teacher I had to deal with in 4th grade she has done fine. She is a great student very quiet gets great grades. But since getting to High School Amanda's passion has been band, marching band mostly. She loved it her freshman year. I personally though wow this teacher is asking alot. I mean in August they practiced for a week 8AM to 6PM at night, seemed like a long time for 14 year olds, but she did it. I accepted my kid staying after school Tuesday and Thursday until 6PM and accepted that I would have to sit in the parking lot for an extra 15 to 25 minutes because the teacher never lets them go on time, I set even knowing dinner was in the oven and most likely burning but I waited.

I accepted my daughter staying after to school to set up for the band yard sale, I donated, Amanda stayed until 9PM then turns around comes home and goes back at 4AM to help more. Then at 2:30 after I have decided my kid has been there way too long I find Amanda in the band room looking almost comatose due to lack of sleep. No one called and said she needs to come home, no one noticed.

I accepted the paying her band dues $75.00 wind suit and shoes $75.00 along with everything else she needed. Then for concert season I bought her a $50.00 dress for her to wear 2 times. I also watched my beautiful short haired daughter stress on how to put her hair up because it is required, only to get to the concert and see almost every other girl there had their long hair hanging down? But not Amanda she doesn't break the rules.

We were so proud last year when Amanda won the Best Freshman award in band, because we knew how hard she works for this teacher. She didn't get flute lead as she wanted, she didn't get any lead position and she was bummed. But she asked the teacher if she could still come to leadership camp in August so she could learn how to help the freshman coming in. So not only did she do the normal band camp of 5 days 8 to 6 she did an extra week just to learn. And it paid off she got a lead position after school started and a girl dropped out.

But it breaks my heart to watch this amazing child suffer at the hands of a selfish bitch of a teacher. You see we are having some serious behavior and academic issues with Haley and today I have a meeting with her teacher, originally I planned to take Haley with me, but decided I really need to talk to her alone. Mark is working nights at a new job so he can not miss time, my step father is in the hospital so my mom can't watch her. So I told Amanda I need to pick her up from practice 1 hour early so she can watch Haley. She told her teacher yesterday and was informed that 1 we as her parents shouldn't expect her to babysit on a practice day, and 2 if she misses any practice she can not be in the competition on Saturday.

Amanda is hearbroke and angry, she works way harder than most kids, heck they have a cheer leader who only comes to 1 practice a week and she gets to compete, but because of a family emergency she will penalize Amanda. It is ridiculous. Amanda has emailed her and tried to ask to go to the competetion, she is talking to her this morning, but if when I pick Amanda up at 5 that lady has told her No I am going to the principal and school board if need, this teacher needs a serious attitude adjustment.

Then onto Haley's teacher, this year Haley is not doing well, last year she was the youngest kid in class and yet the highest in everything. When she is home doing her homework I always check it and out of 30 problems she may get 2 wrong. But when she does work at school or test she is bringing home horrible grades, She is also pulling several cards a day. Last year maybe 2 a week, last week she pulled 9 this week we are already at 7. She seems to hate school this year and I plan to talk to this teacher today to get to the bottom of things.

But yesterday when I got Haley off the bus she tells me she threw up at school, and then when she got on the bus her bus driver handed her a trash bag to hold. Poor Haley was mortified all her friends saw this. Now I work less than 3 minutes from the school a call and I could have been right there. I just don't think anyone ever takes into consideration kids feeling and self esteem anymore. But after today I hope they will start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good grief! I thought schools ALWAYS called to notify a parent when a child was ill! Who is the expert that decided that she wasn't contagious, didn't need medication? The audacity of putting a child on a school bus with a BAG!

The band teacher. . . I'm speechless. The principal is too, apparently.