Monday, June 29, 2009

Overweight America?

Last week we were a bit early for the movie so we sat in our car and people watched. It was amazing how many overweight people there are, I mean they are 4 to 1 with skinny people. And I don't mean people like me and dh who both are over weight and could easily loose 50 pounds each to be in the healthy range. I am talking people who have at least 100 pounds or more to loose.

So who's to blame? McDonald's? Society? Dh and I talked about it and you know I grew up poor, a single mom who bought only food for meals we didn't get snacks and junk food. I remember being hungry and being told not till dinner. And dinners weren't a huge thing since we were so poor. So now that I am an adult and on my own it's like I went crazy eating everything I can. I love food, I crave food thats scary but true. And I see those same traits in my oldest dd. She loves certain foods as well. We eat as a family every night and not quick fix meals at least 4 or 5 nights a week. I mean meat, potato and bread meals.

So it really isn't any wonder we are overweight and I have diabetes, I am currently trying hard to get it under control and loose some weight. But wow my desire to have what food I am craving is such a strong urge to resist.

So anyone else have thoughts on why America is getting so fat?

2 comments:

TKW said...

Well, I think soda consumption is a huge factor. I read somewhere that the average person gets 1/3 of his daily calories from sugary drinks!! That's huge!

And portion sizes at most restaurants are humongous, and people eat 1 out of every 3 meals at some kind of restaurant, so that's an issue, too.

Good luck with your weight loss! Maybe if you kept a food diary on this public blog you'd be super motivated to eat healthy!?

Amytnc said...

I totally agree about the drinks I have cut down to only drinking water and maybe 1 12oz soda a day if at all. And yes portion sizes are huge and we were all taught to clean our plates so I feel guilty to spend money and not eat it all.

And umm lol at posting my daily foods that would be gross, everyone would know how weird I really am. :)