Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Brown Bean Sandwiches

Yep you read that right, So last week TKW blogged about her moms Orange Potato Salad and wanted us to come out of the closet with our weird foods. And try as I might all I could think of was dh's weird Pickle and Peanut butter sandwiches, and the fact that everyone in our house but me puts peanut butter on their pancakes and waffles. But yesterday talking about growing up poor I remembered the infamous Brown Bean Sandwiches.

Mom would put 6 pieces of bread on a cookie sheet, open a can or pork and beans and spread some on each slice, place 1 kraft single on top of the beans and 1 piece of bacon on the cheese. Then she would broil it till the cheese was melted. I loved them as a kid. But in the 20 years my dh and I have been together I have not been able to bring myself to make these.

Youngest dd would for sure say no and ask for waffles, oldest dd will try anything once but I don't think she would love them, dh would love them just for the bacon factor. So maybe one day I will break down and make them. But thought I would share our weird food growing up.

1 comment:

TKW said...

That's a good one! You could be British--they eat beans on toast all the time!